Welcome to Sandra Lawrence - Fine Art
A site selling limited edition prints from original
paintings by Sandra Lawrence, it works in two simple stages. The navigation
links on the left are categorised to take you to pages displaying thumbnail
size images of her work. These thumbnail pages are the first stage and each
covers a separate aspect of her art; such as Wild Life, Still Life, Hunting,
Fishing and Shooting, Flowers, wild flowers and exotic flowers, Cats, Hens,
Birds, Bird's Nests and Japanese Samurai dolls and more. A Portraits thumbnail
page shows previously commissioned portraits. Sandra also welcomes inquiries
about portrait commissions.
Each individual thumbnail image, when clicked, leads to a separate blow-up page (stage two) showing the particular image in a larger format. This gives an idea of how it will look as a print or poster, and here it should be remembered that the demands of computer screens require the image resolution be degraded to a standard 72 dpi (dots per inch) which unfortunately looses much of the original depth, texture and vividness of the actual print or poster offered for sale
There are over a hundred
and fifty image pages, each representing an original work. If you are interested in purchasing any painting please use the Make Enquiry buttons or contact us.
The bottom two links lead to the last two main sections of the site. The first tells of the making of the Overlord Embroidery to celebrate the successful Second World War II Allied landing in Normandy on D-Day, June 6th 1944. At twenty two, Sandra was commissioned to design and paint this mammoth work. Eventually measuring 272 feet (83 metres) in total, this great project took four years. Before that Sandra had studied at St. Martins School of Art and the Byam Shaw School of Art, London and in Florence at Simi's Academy. Sandra has remained a full time artist ever since.
The bottom link is to a page containing information and
descriptions of the methods and materials used in producing the prints.
Also contact and email addresses, phone numbers and links to other sites.
There is also a site map and search engine to help you round the site.
This website doubles as a record of much of Sandra's work over the last quarter of a century. As most of it has been sold privately, this is a real opportunity to buy prints of absolutely original work, vivid, meticulous and with surface representations of textures and tones that can really only now be fully appreciated in prints of the original sizes.
Some critical comment
"Sandra Lawrence made a precocious reputation with her designs for the "Overlord Embroidery", a modern counterpart of the Bayeux. Since that time she has established herself as a glitteringly skillful realist painter, during a period when realism has been increasingly challenged by different varieties of figurative expressionism. These are pre-eminently paintings and drawings to be lived with, since they sustain repeated scrutiny."
Edward Lucie-Smith, art critic, The Times.
''Sandra Lawrence is well known for her commissioned portraits but also for her extraordinary work of detailed observation of domestic animals, birds, wildlife, still-life and flowers. She is skilled in a wide range of techniques; oil, acrylic, watercolor, gouache and pastel. She is an artist at the height of her powers.''
John McEwen, art critic, Sunday Telegraph.
- Peter Hyde Fine Arts, London.
- The Gallery Mundi, Caracas.
- Harkness House Gallery, New York
- The Café Royal, London
- Overlord cartoons at Dover Castle
- Hamilton Galleries, London
- Halander Gallery, Palm Beach
- Fischer Fine Art, London
- Athena Art Awards, London
- Coe Kerr Gallery, New York
- Penwyth Art Gallery, St. Ives, Cornwall
- Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts, 114th Annual Exhibition
- Finalist in 'Revolution USA 2000, an exhibition commemorating the bicentenary of the American Revolution'
- Francis Kyle Gallery, London
- Art Initiatives 1 & 11 (curated by Art Search Ltd. London)
- Several Exhibitions at the Pastel Society, Mall Galleries, London
- The Royal Institute of Oil Painters, Mall Galleries
- Tyron & Swann Gallery, Cork Street, London
- Grosvenor Gallery, Albemarle Street, London
- The Royal Academy of Arts, London - Summer Exhibitions
- The Royal Society of Marine Artists, Mall Galleries, London
- The Pastel Society, Mall Galleries, London
- Chichester Open Art Exhibition, 1997
- The Singer/Friedlander Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 1997/1998
- The Hunting Art Prize at the Royal College of Art, London. 1997/1998/1999/2000/2001/2002.
List of Publications List of publications
- The Times
- The Scotsman
- The Field
- The Washington Post
- Daily Express
- Evening Standard
- Country Life
- The Sunday Times
- Sunday Telegraph
- The Lady
- The Guardian
- The American
- Manhattan East
- Art World
- Chelsea News
- GQ Magazine
- The Art Magazine
- Ideal Home
- Belgravia Village News
- Flying Needle
- Village News
- The Daily Journal
- El Universal
- London Portrait Magazine
- The Connoisseur
- The Artist
- Lighting News
- A La Carte
- Fancy Fowl
- Catholic Herald
- Gulf News
- House and Garden
- Harpers & Queen
- The Independent
- The Resident
- The Australian Women's Weekly
- Classic Rock
- The Mayfair Times
- Chelsea & Kensington News
|If you wish to buy a signed limited edition giclee print or have any queries please contact the artist directly:
or call +44(0)207 352 0558
For anything regarding copyright licence - or to buy 'ART ON DEMAND' (reproductions in varies sizes, framed or unframed of Sandra's paintings) please click on THE BRIDGEMAN ART LIBRARY below.
© Sandra Lawrence